Designed with the runner in mind, the new Forerunners (45, 45S, 245, 245 Music, and 945) will not only track a run, but will monitor stats, crunch the numbers, and get to know all about an athlete’s performance, training history, and goals. The new Forerunner series is designed to meet the needs of almost all runners, no matter the speed or distance they run.
“We are excited to refresh our Forerunner line and bring sought-after advancements to some of our most popular GPS running smartwatches,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin VP of global consumer sales. “Each new Forerunner takes what its predecessor has done very well, and enhances it with even more features, making it easier for you to simply focus on your workout while your watch does the thinking.”
Engineered for runners, by runners, each new Forerunner features lightweight materials and an intuitive 5-button design that can be operated with or without gloves, and in almost any weather condition. The watches include an always-on, sunlight-readable display with GPS, all-day activity tracking, smart notifications, wrist-based heart rate, and new safety features that allow users to share their real-time location with chosen contacts in case they need help. Whether training for a 5K or something far longer, the new Forerunner line is compatible with Garmin Coach, free training plans that adapt based on a runner’s goals and performance. In addition to 5K plans, Garmin users can now train for a 10K or half-marathon with the help of three running coaches – Jeff Galloway, Greg McMillan, and Amy Parkerson-Mitchell – to guide and motivate them.
With features specific to each model, the new Forerunner smartwatches deliver key running metrics and insight to runners, whether they’re training for their first 5K or already have dozens of finisher’s medals decorating their walls. Each watch is built with purpose in both form and function to help athletes train smarter, and possibly harder.
Forerunner 45 and Forerunner 45S
Designed for those who are training for their very first race or starting a new exercise plan, the easy-to-use Forerunner 45 series is the perfect companion for everyday use, monitoring heart rate at the wrist, and featuring built-in GPS to keep track of pace, distance, and intervals. For those with smaller wrists, the Forerunner 45S features a 39-millimeter case compared to a 42-millimeter case on the Forerunner 45.
With a dozen activity profiles available, the Forerunner 45 series will track more than just a run – it will record efforts during a cycling workout, on the elliptical, while doing cardio, yoga and more. The Forerunner 45 series is designed to be worn 24/7, and will monitor daily steps, distance, calories burned and sleep. Featuring all-day stress monitoring and Body Battery energy monitoring, users can focus on their wellness and better plan their day to optimise times for activity and rest. The Forerunner 45 series features up to 7 days of battery life in smartwatch mode and up to 13 hours in GPS mode.
Click here to read about the Forerunner 245, 245 Music, and 945.
Lenovo releases affordable digital smartwatch
Lenovo has launched an affordable new digital smartwatch in India. Bridging the gap between smartphones and wearables, the EGO offers comprehensive health and fitness features while offering some services of a smartphone.
Click here to read more about the budget smartwatch.
The new EGO smartwatch has core features like 20 days battery life, 24/7 heart-rate monitor, scientific sleep monitor, and is water resistant up to 50 meters, allowing it to be used as a swim tracker. It also has smart features like remote camera, and vibrating notifications.
Commenting on the launch, Sebastian Peng, Head of Lenovo MBG Ecosystem said: “Wearable technologies have emerged as the next big consumer electronics market in India and is expected to grow at a fast pace. With Lenovo EGO, we aim to acquire a 15% share of India’s market and establish a fitness network encouraging people to be fitter, healthier and happier. Lenovo EGO brings a full-featured digital smartwatch with extensive compatibility across mobile platforms, long lasting battery and ultimate remote camera feature providing a better fitness experience to consumers.”
Lenovo EGO is priced at $29 and is available on Flipkart and Croma.
Lenovo provided the following information on features:
- Heart rate monitor: Lenovo EGO has 24 hours real-time heart rate monitoring. Amid activities like cycling, running and other exercises, it tests heart rate 24/7.
- Scientific sleep-tracking: With the given amount and quality of sleep having a huge impact on our lives, this digital smartwatch accurately tracks your sleep patterns and helps you to set a sleep schedule and assess how well are you sleeping.
- Smart notifications: With numerous smartphone notifications, this digital smartwatch extends vibrating smart notifications and alerts ranging from phone calls, emails, text messages, and other social media apps.
- Swim tracking: With water resistance up to 50 meters, EGO can be used to record your laps, calories burnt and stroke style in the pool.
- Long lasting battery life: On a single charge, the battery on the EGO lasts for 20 days helping you to track your daily activities throughout the day.
- Remote camera: A smart feature that helps you to take a picture with a single tap on the display screen of the smartwatch. If your phone is in the hands of another person, you can easily click a picture from this digital smartwatch.
- Compatibility: Lenovo EGO is compatible with all iOS and Android smartphones. All you need to do is to download the Lenovo Life app and connect the digital smartwatch.
- Alarm clock: A loud alarm clock may or may not be ignored while sleeping. Need that extra kick to get out of bed? Swap a loud audio-based alarm with vibration-based alarm and wake up on time.
- Lightweight with a sporty look: Lenovo EGO weighs 45g making it comfortable to wear. With durable black rubber buckle strap, this digital smartwatch remains safely strapped on your wrist even in the most demanding exercises. Furthermore, it has a 42mm anti-shine reflective display and night light mode.
Vox launches customised firewall service for SMEs
In light of the growing number of cyber threats facing modern organisations, integrated ICT and infrastructure provider Vox has announced the launch of a Managed Firewall Service aimed specifically at South Africa’s small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Click below to read more about the firewall service.
Companies targeted by ransomware have to pay between R50 000 and R150 000, and most small businesses pay up rather than lose all their information – be it financial data, customer data, billing records and more.
The risk is greater in the SME segment of the market. While corporates can prioritise security at the C-Suite level, these smaller companies often do not have the relevant experts within the organisation to set and enforce security policies and procedures, and need the expertise of a third-party to protect them.
“We have customised a Fortinet solution so that it can be made available at a competitive price point to smaller businesses,” says Craig Freer, Executive Head for Cloud and Managed Services at Vox. “They will now have access to best of breed technology from a global company that is at the forefront of innovation in cybersecurity.”
Fortinet’s leadership in security has been recognised by a favourable Gartner Magic Quadrant ranking for over a decade, and local SMEs will now have access to some of the best firewall technology on the market.
Customers further get access to comprehensive reporting capabilities that allow them to make informed business decisions around security, particularly around user behaviour and their environment.
Freer said: “Apart from just monitoring for, and protecting an organisation from external cyber threats, a well-monitored firewall will also help better manage network usage and data consumption, which is especially vital for small businesses that often have to make do with connections that offer lesser bandwidth.”
The firewall solution for SMEs is also available as part of a managed service. In this instance, Vox will ensure that certified firewall engineers set up policies that are correct, comprehensive, and well enforced, in order to protect the business’s data and network. This includes crafting a strategy for what an organisation should do in case a breach occurs.