Nissan Motor Co and the City of Yokohama are introducing a round-trip car sharing service featuring the Nissan New Mobility Concept, an ultra-compact electric vehicle.|Nissan Motor Co and the City of Yokohama are introducing a round-trip car sharing service featuring the Nissan New Mobility Concept, an ultra-compact electric vehicle.
The service, “Choimobi Yokohama,” enables users who register online to pick up and return cars in 14 locations around Yokohama Station. Cars can be reserved 30 minutes in advance and can be driven within the city.
The service costs 250 yen per 15 minutes plus a 200 yen basic charge, with a maximum daily charge of 3,000 yen. Users need a Japanese driver’s license, a smartphone and a Japan-issued credit card. Registration is available on the Choimobi website: https://nissan-rentac
Nissan and the City of Yokohama previously conducted a two-year trial of Japan’s first one-way car sharing service using ultra-compact electric vehicles, starting in October 2013. The aim was to encourage low-emission transport options, improve the quality of transportation and promote tourism. In October 2015, the partnership began renting cars to local tour operators and businesses.
The new round-trip service is meant to further promote ultra-compact mobility and build a sustainable business model through public-private cooperation. The service will also include guided tours around central Yokohama and long-term car rentals for businesses.
Nissan and the City of Yokohama will continue usability and feasability studies by encouraging various local entities to join the program.
As the leader in zero-emission mobility, Nissan continues to seek ways to harness ultra-compact electric vehicles to improve transportation and the quality of life.
Outline of service:
- Implementing party: Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
Operator: Nissan Car Rental Solution Co., Ltd.
(Car sharing system developer: Sage Co., Ltd.)
- Project duration: March 17, 2017, to March 2019
- Cars: 25 Nissan New Mobility Concept vehicles
- Pick-up/drop-off locations (car stations): 14 locations around Yokohama Station (25 cars): Bay Quarter Yokohama (1), Yokohama Mitsui Building (2), Nissan Global Headquarters (3), Yokohama i-Mark Place (4), MinatoMirai Grand Central Tower (5), Yokohama Museum of Art (6), Mark IS Minatomirai (7), Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu (8), Yokohama Landmark Tower (9), Colette Mare (10), Osanbashi Yokohama International Passenger Terminal (11), Yokohama City Hall (12), Yamashita Park parking lot (13), Yokohama City Vocational Development Center (14).
- Free private parking spaces: 12 locations (23 cars)
- Driving area: Within the city of Yokohama. The vehicles are restricted from driving on expressways and highways (with speed limits exceeding 60km/h).
- Usage charge: 200 JPY (basic charge) + 250 JPY/15 minutes; maximum charge 3,000 JPY/day.
- To use the service, enroll through the Choimobi website using a registered means of identification (valid Japan driver’s license, FeliCa-embedded transport IC card or smartphone). Registrants are required to watch a video featuring operating instructions and information on driving safety. Users must also have a valid Japanese driver’s license (for regular-size cars), a smartphone with e-mail, and a Japan-issued credit card. Additional details are available online.