With the latest X1 Carbon running Intel’s 10th Generation CPU’s, Lenovo unleashes its first commercial platform part of the Project Athena program, ready to take on a full day’s work with all-day battery life and the latest Wi-Fi 6 connectivity.
The updated commercial laptop line-up also includes a 10th Gen Intel Core processor refresh on the premium ThinkPad X1 Yoga, the ThinkPad X390 and the ThinkPad T490.
The ThinkPad features industry-leading security with ThinkShield, the ability to stay connected with LTE-A Wireless WAN and Wi-Fi 6 in the latest select models. The ThinkPad line-up continues to offer premium usability experience through vivid high-definition displays, immersive Dolby Audio, and the renowned ThinkPad keyboard.
In today’s tech world, security is a top priority, and we have addressed this need by adding ThinkShield security features to our machines. The hybrid HD+IR Camera with ThinkShutter protects users from prying eyes. Secure multi-factor authentication is possible with Windows Hello, along with a match-on-host fingerprint reader. The lightweight form factor, versatile connectivity options, and long battery life empower you to achieve more, no matter where your work takes you.
Jerry Paradise, vice president, Commercial Product and Portfolio Management, Intelligent Devices Group at Lenovo, says: “We know from user insights that the next-gen workforce expects much more flexible working methods. This includes the need to work from anywhere, anytime with technological tools at their disposal that are fast, secure, intuitive and mobile. Our unparalleled family of ThinkPad laptops gives business professionals smarter productivity, security and connectivity experiences along with greater choice in selecting the device that’s right for them.”
Lenovo provided the following features for the notebooks:
ThinkPad X1 Carbon
- Up to a 6-core 10th Gen Intel Core processor delivering multi-threaded performance, support for brilliant 4K content, and best-in-class connectivity with Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) and Thunderbolt 3 for on-the-go productivity whether you’re in the office, with a customer or somewhere in between
- Project Athena enabling optimized battery life, best-in-class connectivity with Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) and more that are co-engineered with Intel for mobile performance whether users are plugged in or on battery.
- 14.9mm thin and starting at 1 kg.
- A diverse selection of 14-inch display options is available, including the stunning 500 nit, 10 bit, 4K Dolby Vision enabled panel, or the option of a new, brighter 400 nit FHD display
- The Dolby Atmos Speaker System, featuring two top-firing tweeters and two down-firing woofers, delivers a more immersive soundscape
- Four far-field microphones enhance the experience of conferencing and collaboration
- Enjoy up to 18.5 hours of productivity, and when the power gets low, Rapid Charge can deliver 80 percent battery in under 60 minutes
- Global LTE-A Wireless WAN and new Wi-Fi 6 Gig+ option offer lightning-fast connection speeds for an always-on experience
ThinkPad X1 Yoga
- Up to 6-core 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Weighs less than 1.4kg and is 15.5mm thin
- Reinforced, precision machined “Iron Grey” aluminium chassis
- Now supports all docking solutions, including ThinkPad Mechanical Dock
- Enjoy up to 18.3 hours of productivity, and when the power gets low, Rapid Charge can deliver 80 percent battery in just 60 minutes.
- Dolby Vision enabled display and Dolby Atmos Speaker System with far-field mics
- Global LTE-A Wireless WAN
- Integrated ThinkPad Pen Pro offers precise, multi-mode pen input.
Huawei launches P40 in virtual event
While Huawei usually makes a big splash in Paris with its P-series flagship launches, it had to host its event virtually on a YouTube live stream from an undisclosed launch venue.
Yesterday, Huawei announced its latest P40 flagship devices amid the coronavirus pandemic, by hosting a virtual launch to distance fans from each other. Tens of thousands of viewers followed the event live.
The new devices include the P40 Pro+, P40 Pro, and P40, which feature new camera innovations that focus on better videography from the devices.
This is thanks to a large 1/1.28-inch sensor that boosts light intake for enhanced low-light performance, while a new periscope design adds 10x optical zoom. P40 Series is powered by Kirin 990 5G and supports 5G and Wi-Fi 6 Plus, which is Huawei’s faster Wi-Fi 6 standard.
Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei Consumer Business Group, said “The Huawei P Series has always been about innovative aesthetics and making premium imaging hardware accessible, representing the very best of industrial design and technology. With an outstanding sensor, camera systems that we co-engineered with Leica, powerful chipset and Huawei XD Fusion Engine, the Huawei P40 Series exemplifies our focus and offers an all-day Super Definition experience to help consumers realise their creative vision.”
The P40 Pro and P40 Pro+ feature a Quad-curve Overflow Display. The display takes on a curved edge on all four sides, while the super narrow bezels and streamlined round corners provide an ergonomic hold and near borderless look. An enhanced in-screen fingerprint reader offers 30 percent faster biometric authentication.
The P40 and P40 Pro are available in three glossy glass finishes – Ice White, Deep Sea Blue and Black – and two refractive matte glass finishes – Blush Gold and Silver Frost. The P40 Pro+ features a nano-tech ceramic back panel that is kilned and polished to ensure its durable and scratch resistant. This design comes in two colours: Ceramic White and Ceramic Black.
Embedded in the P40 Series is the advanced Ultra Vision Leica camera system, available in triple, quad-camera and penta-camera configurations. The P40 delivers features the triple-camera setup with ultra wide-angle, wide-angle and telephoto lenses. The P40 Pro features a Leica Quad Camera with a more powerful Ultra Wide Cine Camera and Time-of-Flight (ToF) Camera alongside 50x SuperSensing Zoom. The P40 Pro+ lets consumers see the unprecedented with the SuperZoom Array, which supports 10x optical zoom and 100x digital zoom, like the Galaxy S20 Ultra.
The P40 and P40 Pro will be available in South Africa in May, while no date has been set for release of the P40 Pro+.
Sony releases smartphone-ready in-car display
One can enable an existing car with smart technology, with Sony’s new XAV-AX8050D in-car media display that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Sony has launched the XAV-AX8050D in-car media display, its newest and most advanced media display for cars yet. Designed to deliver immersive quality that features anti-glare touchscreen technology, Sony’s high-end display promotes safer and smarter driving habits for South African road users, thanks to the easy-to-read screen.
Sanjay Panikar, Head of Car Audio Marketing, Sony Middle East and Africa, said: “Without doubt, the use of a larger, more vibrant screen on in-car dashboards enables drivers and passengers to tap into the convenience of having the ultimate entertainment and navigation experience while on the go, without compromising road safety. Sony’s newest media display also features a range of exciting connectivity options like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and WebLink Cast to ensure that drivers are always connected to their favourite devices and apps.”
The XAV-AX8050D display is designed to minimise distractions so that drivers can focus on the road ahead. Sony has placed safety and innovative design at the heart of its display design, resulting in convergence of lighter touch operation and improved visibility so information is easy to see at a glance.
The 8.95-inch, anti-glare display hovers over the dashboard, and the sturdy mount can be adjusted in three directions to allow for flexible installation in a wide variety of vehicles.
Apple CarPlay integrates an iPhone with the car audio’s display and controls. Read more about support for third-party navigation apps at www.apple.com/ios/carplay
For more on the Google Assistant on Android Auto, visit www.android.com/auto
The rear-view camera-ready function displays visuals from the connected rear-view camera and can be accessed when the vehicle is put in reverse or by tapping the “Rear Camera” icon on the home screen
Audio Connections: Tel: 031 579 1752
Simplex Radio: Tel: 031 306 4029/3076 786