DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, has built on its heritage of advanced image stabilization to develop the new Osmo Action camera. Utilising DJI’s software experience in capturing smooth and stable videos in the shaky conditions, the company says, Osmo Action is as rugged as it is sophisticated, opening worlds of creative potential for professionals and adventure seekers.
“DJI has always pushed the limits of technology, and the content creators who love our products made it clear they wanted us to push the limits of their creative potential too,” says Roger Luo, DJI president. “Osmo Action is our cutting-edge answer to what the creative community demands: exceptional image quality and stabilisation in a unique and durable new form factor, with dual colour screens and seamless software integration.
“For all types of creators who push their gear to the limits, Osmo Action sets the new standard. Whether you are capturing aerial content with Mavic 2, incredibly smooth content with Osmo Pocket, or heart-racing footage with Osmo Action, DJI offers a full suite of products for your creative needs.”
Rugged construction and intuitive design
A compact and durable design, says DJI, makes Osmo Action a camera for life’s adventures. Constructed to handle extreme conditions with ease, Osmo Action is dustproof, shockproof, waterproof and has the ability to operate in sub-freezing temperatures. Osmo Action utilises colour screens on both the front and back, a new design feature that allows for more convenient scene composition while on the move. The 2.25-inch rear touchscreen employs a water and fingerprint repelling coating, and the 1.4-inch front screen makes framing oneself easier. With a brightness of 750-nits, Osmo Action can be used in bright lighting conditions, including direct sunlight.
Osmo Action’s interactive user interface, Action OS, combines a streamlined and functional physical design with flexible operation. The user can quickly power on, initiate recording, and rotate through the video and photo capture modes with three dedicated buttons. Faster powering on is enabled with SnapShot, which allows Osmo Action to turn on and begin recording in under two seconds by pressing the shutter button once.
Advanced technology with exceptional image quality
A 1/2.3-inch sensor records 12-megapixel photos and 4K video up to 60fps at 100Mbps in sharp detail, assuring high-quality footage. A three-glass aspherical lens design records low-distortion content and aids in reducing warping effects for improved scenes. The lens cap is finished with two layers of anti-fingerprint coating to keep the shot clean during use, as well as an anti-reflective coating to reduce the unwanted effects of lens glare, giving users more flexibility to shoot in bright conditions.
Incorporating over a decade of experience creating three-axis mechanical gimbals, Osmo Action is the first DJI handheld camera to include RockSteady, DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS) technology. High-performance stabilisation algorithms work in conjunction with EIS to record movement in smooth, stable, high-quality video, even when recording 4K/60fps. Additionally, Osmo Action is capable of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps, delivering an additional three stops of dynamic range to the scene, natural transitions between light and dark areas, and rich details that are often lost in complex lighting conditions.
Osmo Action has a removable battery with a run time of 93 minutes recording at 4K/30fps with RockSteady enabled, and 135 minutes recording at 1080p/30fps without RockSteady. Dual microphones let users take advantage of Osmo Action’s Voice Control, and a speaker ensures good playback quality.
Creative, intelligent features
Osmo Action offers a wide variety of creative features built into the camera which users can access with a few taps. While recording, choose between:
- Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps creates a visually appealing effect when documenting action-packed scenes.
- Timelapse: If the user is looking to turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster.
- Custom Exposure settings: Shoot for the stars with manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure, perfect for capturing the night sky.
Price and Availability
Osmo Action will sell at a recommended retail price of R 6999 and will be available from the end of May at iStore, The Digital Experience, Takealot and various other major retailers in South Africa. For more information on all the new features and capabilities of Osmo Action, visit http://www.dji.com/osmo-action.
Lenovo releases affordable digital smartwatch
Lenovo has launched an affordable new digital smartwatch in India. Bridging the gap between smartphones and wearables, the EGO offers comprehensive health and fitness features while offering some services of a smartphone.
Click here to read more about the budget smartwatch.
The new EGO smartwatch has core features like 20 days battery life, 24/7 heart-rate monitor, scientific sleep monitor, and is water resistant up to 50 meters, allowing it to be used as a swim tracker. It also has smart features like remote camera, and vibrating notifications.
Commenting on the launch, Sebastian Peng, Head of Lenovo MBG Ecosystem said: “Wearable technologies have emerged as the next big consumer electronics market in India and is expected to grow at a fast pace. With Lenovo EGO, we aim to acquire a 15% share of India’s market and establish a fitness network encouraging people to be fitter, healthier and happier. Lenovo EGO brings a full-featured digital smartwatch with extensive compatibility across mobile platforms, long lasting battery and ultimate remote camera feature providing a better fitness experience to consumers.”
Lenovo EGO is priced at $29 and is available on Flipkart and Croma.
Lenovo provided the following information on features:
- Heart rate monitor: Lenovo EGO has 24 hours real-time heart rate monitoring. Amid activities like cycling, running and other exercises, it tests heart rate 24/7.
- Scientific sleep-tracking: With the given amount and quality of sleep having a huge impact on our lives, this digital smartwatch accurately tracks your sleep patterns and helps you to set a sleep schedule and assess how well are you sleeping.
- Smart notifications: With numerous smartphone notifications, this digital smartwatch extends vibrating smart notifications and alerts ranging from phone calls, emails, text messages, and other social media apps.
- Swim tracking: With water resistance up to 50 meters, EGO can be used to record your laps, calories burnt and stroke style in the pool.
- Long lasting battery life: On a single charge, the battery on the EGO lasts for 20 days helping you to track your daily activities throughout the day.
- Remote camera: A smart feature that helps you to take a picture with a single tap on the display screen of the smartwatch. If your phone is in the hands of another person, you can easily click a picture from this digital smartwatch.
- Compatibility: Lenovo EGO is compatible with all iOS and Android smartphones. All you need to do is to download the Lenovo Life app and connect the digital smartwatch.
- Alarm clock: A loud alarm clock may or may not be ignored while sleeping. Need that extra kick to get out of bed? Swap a loud audio-based alarm with vibration-based alarm and wake up on time.
- Lightweight with a sporty look: Lenovo EGO weighs 45g making it comfortable to wear. With durable black rubber buckle strap, this digital smartwatch remains safely strapped on your wrist even in the most demanding exercises. Furthermore, it has a 42mm anti-shine reflective display and night light mode.
Vox launches customised firewall service for SMEs
In light of the growing number of cyber threats facing modern organisations, integrated ICT and infrastructure provider Vox has announced the launch of a Managed Firewall Service aimed specifically at South Africa’s small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Click below to read more about the firewall service.
Companies targeted by ransomware have to pay between R50 000 and R150 000, and most small businesses pay up rather than lose all their information – be it financial data, customer data, billing records and more.
The risk is greater in the SME segment of the market. While corporates can prioritise security at the C-Suite level, these smaller companies often do not have the relevant experts within the organisation to set and enforce security policies and procedures, and need the expertise of a third-party to protect them.
“We have customised a Fortinet solution so that it can be made available at a competitive price point to smaller businesses,” says Craig Freer, Executive Head for Cloud and Managed Services at Vox. “They will now have access to best of breed technology from a global company that is at the forefront of innovation in cybersecurity.”
Fortinet’s leadership in security has been recognised by a favourable Gartner Magic Quadrant ranking for over a decade, and local SMEs will now have access to some of the best firewall technology on the market.
Customers further get access to comprehensive reporting capabilities that allow them to make informed business decisions around security, particularly around user behaviour and their environment.
Freer said: “Apart from just monitoring for, and protecting an organisation from external cyber threats, a well-monitored firewall will also help better manage network usage and data consumption, which is especially vital for small businesses that often have to make do with connections that offer lesser bandwidth.”
The firewall solution for SMEs is also available as part of a managed service. In this instance, Vox will ensure that certified firewall engineers set up policies that are correct, comprehensive, and well enforced, in order to protect the business’s data and network. This includes crafting a strategy for what an organisation should do in case a breach occurs.