Amazon has announced its Fire 7 tablet, built from the ground up for entertainment. The new tablet features a faster processor; 16 GB of internal storage for users to enjoy more videos, music, games, and books on-the-go; and hands-free access to Alexa.
The tablet will cost $50 and is available in Black and 3 new colours: Sage, Plum, and Twilight Blue. As an introductory offer, customers who preorder the tablet before June 6 will receive a $10 credit to buy apps and games from the Amazon Appstore.
“Fire 7 is our best-selling tablet with tens of millions sold,” said Kevin Keith, vice president of Amazon Devices. “For under $50, we’re making it even better for customers with a faster processor and twice the storage, so customers can enjoy even more of their favorite entertainment at home and on-the-go. And, with hands-free access to Alexa on Fire 7, it’s never been easier to get the news, find a recipe, play music, and more.”
The Fire 7 includes:
- Faster processor—With a quad-core 1.3 GHz processor, quickly switch between apps, stream movies, and browse the web.
- 2x the storage—Fire 7 is now available with 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage, plus support for up to 512 GB of expandable storage via microSD card.
- Alexa hands-free—When connected to Wi-Fi, users can ask Alexa to check the basketball score, get a recipe, watch a movie, and more – using voice command, even when your screen is on standby.
- Crisp and vivid display—Amazon’s lightest tablet features a high quality 7” IPS display for accurate colour reproduction that looks good at all angles.
- Durability—As measured in tumble tests, Fire 7 is two times more durable as the latest iPad mini, and stands up against drops, tumbles, spills, and everyday wear and tear.
- Battery life—Delivers up to 7 hours of reading, listening to music, watching TV shows or movies, and browsing the web.
- Front- and rear-facing cameras—Video chat with friends and family with the HD 720p front-facing camera. Take and share photos and save them for later with free, unlimited cloud storage.
- Fast Wi–Fi connectivity—Dual-band Wi-Fi support for seamless video streaming.
- Amazon-exclusive features—ASAP, For You, X-Ray, Second Screen, Amazon FreeTime, Family Library, Blue Shade, On Deck, Prime Video downloads, and more. For more information, click here.
- Amazon FreeTime—With award-winning parental controls, parents can use Amazon FreeTime to create child profiles to limit screen time, set educational goals, and manage content. FreeTime is free on every Fire tablet—or subscribe to Amazon FreeTime Unlimited to access over 20,000 titles.
- Screen Sharing—Let an Amazon expert guide you remotely through any feature on your screen, available 24×7, 365 days a year—for free.
The new Fire 7 comes in Black, Sage, Plum, and Twilight Blue and costs $50. Cases for the tablet are available in Charcoal Black, Sage, Plum, Twilight Blue, and Desert Orange, can stand in both landscape and portrait orientations, and retail for $25.
In addition to the Fire 7, Amazon has introduced the Fire 7 Kids Edition, available for pre-order for $100. More information is available at www.amazon.com/Fire7KidsEdition.
Lenovo releases affordable digital smartwatch
Lenovo has launched an affordable new digital smartwatch in India. Bridging the gap between smartphones and wearables, the EGO offers comprehensive health and fitness features while offering some services of a smartphone.
Click here to read more about the budget smartwatch.
The new EGO smartwatch has core features like 20 days battery life, 24/7 heart-rate monitor, scientific sleep monitor, and is water resistant up to 50 meters, allowing it to be used as a swim tracker. It also has smart features like remote camera, and vibrating notifications.
Commenting on the launch, Sebastian Peng, Head of Lenovo MBG Ecosystem said: “Wearable technologies have emerged as the next big consumer electronics market in India and is expected to grow at a fast pace. With Lenovo EGO, we aim to acquire a 15% share of India’s market and establish a fitness network encouraging people to be fitter, healthier and happier. Lenovo EGO brings a full-featured digital smartwatch with extensive compatibility across mobile platforms, long lasting battery and ultimate remote camera feature providing a better fitness experience to consumers.”
Lenovo EGO is priced at $29 and is available on Flipkart and Croma.
Lenovo provided the following information on features:
- Heart rate monitor: Lenovo EGO has 24 hours real-time heart rate monitoring. Amid activities like cycling, running and other exercises, it tests heart rate 24/7.
- Scientific sleep-tracking: With the given amount and quality of sleep having a huge impact on our lives, this digital smartwatch accurately tracks your sleep patterns and helps you to set a sleep schedule and assess how well are you sleeping.
- Smart notifications: With numerous smartphone notifications, this digital smartwatch extends vibrating smart notifications and alerts ranging from phone calls, emails, text messages, and other social media apps.
- Swim tracking: With water resistance up to 50 meters, EGO can be used to record your laps, calories burnt and stroke style in the pool.
- Long lasting battery life: On a single charge, the battery on the EGO lasts for 20 days helping you to track your daily activities throughout the day.
- Remote camera: A smart feature that helps you to take a picture with a single tap on the display screen of the smartwatch. If your phone is in the hands of another person, you can easily click a picture from this digital smartwatch.
- Compatibility: Lenovo EGO is compatible with all iOS and Android smartphones. All you need to do is to download the Lenovo Life app and connect the digital smartwatch.
- Alarm clock: A loud alarm clock may or may not be ignored while sleeping. Need that extra kick to get out of bed? Swap a loud audio-based alarm with vibration-based alarm and wake up on time.
- Lightweight with a sporty look: Lenovo EGO weighs 45g making it comfortable to wear. With durable black rubber buckle strap, this digital smartwatch remains safely strapped on your wrist even in the most demanding exercises. Furthermore, it has a 42mm anti-shine reflective display and night light mode.
Vox launches customised firewall service for SMEs
In light of the growing number of cyber threats facing modern organisations, integrated ICT and infrastructure provider Vox has announced the launch of a Managed Firewall Service aimed specifically at South Africa’s small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Click below to read more about the firewall service.
Companies targeted by ransomware have to pay between R50 000 and R150 000, and most small businesses pay up rather than lose all their information – be it financial data, customer data, billing records and more.
The risk is greater in the SME segment of the market. While corporates can prioritise security at the C-Suite level, these smaller companies often do not have the relevant experts within the organisation to set and enforce security policies and procedures, and need the expertise of a third-party to protect them.
“We have customised a Fortinet solution so that it can be made available at a competitive price point to smaller businesses,” says Craig Freer, Executive Head for Cloud and Managed Services at Vox. “They will now have access to best of breed technology from a global company that is at the forefront of innovation in cybersecurity.”
Fortinet’s leadership in security has been recognised by a favourable Gartner Magic Quadrant ranking for over a decade, and local SMEs will now have access to some of the best firewall technology on the market.
Customers further get access to comprehensive reporting capabilities that allow them to make informed business decisions around security, particularly around user behaviour and their environment.
Freer said: “Apart from just monitoring for, and protecting an organisation from external cyber threats, a well-monitored firewall will also help better manage network usage and data consumption, which is especially vital for small businesses that often have to make do with connections that offer lesser bandwidth.”
The firewall solution for SMEs is also available as part of a managed service. In this instance, Vox will ensure that certified firewall engineers set up policies that are correct, comprehensive, and well enforced, in order to protect the business’s data and network. This includes crafting a strategy for what an organisation should do in case a breach occurs.