The platform is built on the Nokia Worldwide IoT Network Grid (WING) infrastructure, which provides global IoT connectivity and services support. WING’s applications include IoT sensors, user applications, and business models suited to specific sectors. Its managed service approach also offers a “pay-as-you-grow” business model, giving operators the flexibility to quickly scale up IoT services as required.
Market-ready solutions are available on the platform to help reduce the challenges facing IoT operators. These include the need for specialised expertise, the complexities of combining fragmented IoT connectivity inf
The four new solutions announced this week by Nokia include:
- Smart Agriculture as-a-Service: Sensors capture environmental, soil, and crop data, which is analysed to provide insights that help farmers manage crops more effectively, potentially saving costs on irrigation, pesticides, and fertilisers.
- Livestock Management-as-a-Service: Tracking devices and biosensors monitor animal health to provide ranchers with early alerts when abnormalities are detected, protecting valuable livestock and improving yields.
- Logistics as-a-Service: IoT sensors enable tracking of the global movement and condition of goods through the supply chain to help enterprises quickly identify incidents and even predict future events to optimize delivery and logistics process efficiency.
- Asset Management-as-a-Service: Connecting products anywhere in the world enables their status and performance to be monitored centrally, helping enterprises provide a better service to their business and consumer customers.
Ankur Bhan, global head of WING Business at Nokia, said: “The IoT is a growing opportunity for operators to win new enterprise customers and significant additional revenue in a diverse range of vertical markets. With
Lenovo releases affordable digital smartwatch
Lenovo has launched an affordable new digital smartwatch in India. Bridging the gap between smartphones and wearables, the EGO offers comprehensive health and fitness features while offering some services of a smartphone.
Click here to read more about the budget smartwatch.
The new EGO smartwatch has core features like 20 days battery life, 24/7 heart-rate monitor, scientific sleep monitor, and is water resistant up to 50 meters, allowing it to be used as a swim tracker. It also has smart features like remote camera, and vibrating notifications.
Commenting on the launch, Sebastian Peng, Head of Lenovo MBG Ecosystem said: “Wearable technologies have emerged as the next big consumer electronics market in India and is expected to grow at a fast pace. With Lenovo EGO, we aim to acquire a 15% share of India’s market and establish a fitness network encouraging people to be fitter, healthier and happier. Lenovo EGO brings a full-featured digital smartwatch with extensive compatibility across mobile platforms, long lasting battery and ultimate remote camera feature providing a better fitness experience to consumers.”
Lenovo EGO is priced at $29 and is available on Flipkart and Croma.
Lenovo provided the following information on features:
- Heart rate monitor: Lenovo EGO has 24 hours real-time heart rate monitoring. Amid activities like cycling, running and other exercises, it tests heart rate 24/7.
- Scientific sleep-tracking: With the given amount and quality of sleep having a huge impact on our lives, this digital smartwatch accurately tracks your sleep patterns and helps you to set a sleep schedule and assess how well are you sleeping.
- Smart notifications: With numerous smartphone notifications, this digital smartwatch extends vibrating smart notifications and alerts ranging from phone calls, emails, text messages, and other social media apps.
- Swim tracking: With water resistance up to 50 meters, EGO can be used to record your laps, calories burnt and stroke style in the pool.
- Long lasting battery life: On a single charge, the battery on the EGO lasts for 20 days helping you to track your daily activities throughout the day.
- Remote camera: A smart feature that helps you to take a picture with a single tap on the display screen of the smartwatch. If your phone is in the hands of another person, you can easily click a picture from this digital smartwatch.
- Compatibility: Lenovo EGO is compatible with all iOS and Android smartphones. All you need to do is to download the Lenovo Life app and connect the digital smartwatch.
- Alarm clock: A loud alarm clock may or may not be ignored while sleeping. Need that extra kick to get out of bed? Swap a loud audio-based alarm with vibration-based alarm and wake up on time.
- Lightweight with a sporty look: Lenovo EGO weighs 45g making it comfortable to wear. With durable black rubber buckle strap, this digital smartwatch remains safely strapped on your wrist even in the most demanding exercises. Furthermore, it has a 42mm anti-shine reflective display and night light mode.
Vox launches customised firewall service for SMEs
In light of the growing number of cyber threats facing modern organisations, integrated ICT and infrastructure provider Vox has announced the launch of a Managed Firewall Service aimed specifically at South Africa’s small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Click below to read more about the firewall service.
Companies targeted by ransomware have to pay between R50 000 and R150 000, and most small businesses pay up rather than lose all their information – be it financial data, customer data, billing records and more.
The risk is greater in the SME segment of the market. While corporates can prioritise security at the C-Suite level, these smaller companies often do not have the relevant experts within the organisation to set and enforce security policies and procedures, and need the expertise of a third-party to protect them.
“We have customised a Fortinet solution so that it can be made available at a competitive price point to smaller businesses,” says Craig Freer, Executive Head for Cloud and Managed Services at Vox. “They will now have access to best of breed technology from a global company that is at the forefront of innovation in cybersecurity.”
Fortinet’s leadership in security has been recognised by a favourable Gartner Magic Quadrant ranking for over a decade, and local SMEs will now have access to some of the best firewall technology on the market.
Customers further get access to comprehensive reporting capabilities that allow them to make informed business decisions around security, particularly around user behaviour and their environment.
Freer said: “Apart from just monitoring for, and protecting an organisation from external cyber threats, a well-monitored firewall will also help better manage network usage and data consumption, which is especially vital for small businesses that often have to make do with connections that offer lesser bandwidth.”
The firewall solution for SMEs is also available as part of a managed service. In this instance, Vox will ensure that certified firewall engineers set up policies that are correct, comprehensive, and well enforced, in order to protect the business’s data and network. This includes crafting a strategy for what an organisation should do in case a breach occurs.