Building on a long tradition of creating class-leading gimbals for both aerial and ground purposes, Osmo Mobile 3 is the next iteration of DJI’s technology packaged into a thoughtful design.
The device is described as a lightweight companion for life’s adventures. Users can capture ultra-steady video footage and photo content using intelligent features programmed into the latest version of the DJI Mimo app. An intuitive design meets functionality, and it features simplified operation and adjustments.
“When we began designing Osmo Mobile 3, we went back to the drawing board with the goal of creating a portable yet intuitive product that uses the latest DJI technology,” said Paul Pan, Senior Product Manager at DJI. “We are excited to introduce DJI’s first gimbal with a folding design and hope it inspires our customers to imagine new ways of recording content with their mobile phones.”
The new Osmo Mobile 3 has been redesigned to be smaller, so one can pack it away without taking up too much space. The ultra-compact device has been redesigned, and its locking mechanisms ensure more compact transportation. With the ability to quickly unfold and mount a mobile phone, plus 15 hours of battery, users are able to capture more stable video than the previous generations.
The new design also makes for efficient operation, featuring vital controls manageable with one hand. Thanks to buttons on the handle, users can control the gimbal’s movement and access useful features more easily. Quick Roll rotates the orientation from portrait to landscape by pressing the Mode (M) button twice without the need to remove the mobile device.
The redesigned form no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports, allowing for connection to charge the device or use external mics. A trigger helps manoeuvre the gimbal by locking orientation, rotating the gimbal for selfies, and re-centering when tracking a subject. By using ActiveTrack, users can tap the trigger once, and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin tracking while keeping the subject centred within the frame. Zoom in and out with the dedicated zoom slider on the side of the stabiliser without needing to touch the screen of the mobile device, making content capturing less complicated. Users also have the option to customise zoom speed based on personal preference.
DJI has provided the following information on features:
- Story Mode: Bring creative editing to your video with a host of pre-set music, video transitions, and filters. Choose one of 13 fun templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement for you. After shooting, Mimo automatically generates your own professionally edited short video, ready to be shared.
- Gesture Control: Snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once Gesture Control is enabled, show a “peace sign” or put up your palm and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to the useful feature from the DJI Ronin series, Sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms allow Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow subjects of your choice, perfect for capturing family moments easily with a tap.
- TimeLapse & MotionLapse: If you’re looking to turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster around you, while Motionlapse adds the dynamic element of movement to your Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: Take the appealing visuals from Timelapse and add movement by manually moving Osmo Mobile 3 with you. Additionally, HyperLapse not only supports real-time Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) but also ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Users can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: Slow down the world around you with 4X or 8X Slow Motion.
Price and Availability
Osmo Mobile 3 is expected to be available in South Africa by mid-September. The standard version, which includes Osmo Mobile 3, wrist strap, storage pouch and anti-slip pads, will retail starting at ZAR1,895. The Osmo Mobile 3 Combo, which adds the Osmo Grip Tripod and Osmo Carrying Case, starts at ZAR2,255.