The set pays homage to the 90th birthday of Mickey Mouse, who was introduced in the first ever animated cartoon, sailing aboard Steamboat Willie in 1928. These ten fast facts about the Lego Ideas Steamboat Willie set are sure to take you back to the roots of movies, animation, and Lego fun.
- Have a look at the original cartoon to see the inspiration behind this inspiration set above.
- Despite LEGO bricks being renowned for their rainbow colours, this set is completely in monochrome, with hints of silver.
- LEGO Steamboat Willie is built from 751
pieces,and includes steam pipes that move up and down, and paddle wheels that rotate when the boat is pushed along.
- The set comes with new Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse figures and Mickey’s parrot, although they’re all ‘aged’ to fit in with the set’s black and white colour scheme.
- Minnie also has her guitar and music sheet to hand – just like in the original movie!
- The ship includes a working crane to pull the ‘potato bin’ on board.
- The boat’s bridge has space for a
minifigure, a brick-built bell and other elements, including the ship’s wheel and life buoy.
- LEGO created the set after it was voted for in a LEGO Ideas campaign, which sees LEGO fans all over the world vote for sets proposed by other fans – until The LEGO Group designs and manufactures them.
- The original design looks a little different to the final product here.
- If you’ve got an idea for a new LEGO set, you can submit it here: https://ideas.lego.com/#all
LEGO® Ideas Steamboat Willie has just landed in South Africa and is exclusively available at Sandton City’s LEGO Certified Store and greatyellowbrick.co.za at R14 000.
The set launch coincides with the global launch of this fun and whimsical set for LEGO and Disney fans of all ages.