IBM has announced IBM z15, a new enterprise platform delivering the ability to manage the privacy of customer data across hybrid multicloud environments. With z15, clients can manage who gets access to data via policy-based controls, with an industry-first capability to revoke access to data across the hybrid cloud.
The movement of data between partners and third parties is often the root cause of data breaches. In fact, 60 percent of businesses reported they suffered a data breach caused by a vendor or third party in 2018. With the growing adoption of hybrid multicloud environments, the challenge of maintaining data security and privacy only grows more acute and challenging.
The IBM z15 system culminates four years of development with over 3,000 IBM Z patents issued or in process and represents a collaboration with input from over 100 companies. Key z15 innovations from these investments across IBM Systems and Research include:
- Encryption Everywhere – Building upon pervasive encryption, IBM unveiled new Data Privacy Passports technology that clients can use to gain control over how data is stored and shared – enabling the ability to protect and provision data and revoke access to that data at any time, not only within the z15 environment but across an enterprise’s hybrid multicloud environment. z15 also can encrypt data everywhere – across hybrid multicloud environments – to help enterprises secure their data wherever it travels.
- Cloud-Native Development – Can give clients a competitive advantage by evolving how they modernize apps in place, build new cloud-native apps and securely integrate their most important workloads across clouds. Clients are already using IBM Z for their mission-critical workloads to build, deploy and manage next-gen apps and protect data through advanced security.
- Instant Recovery – An industry-first approach to limiting the cost and impact of planned and unplanned downtime, enabling users to access full system capacity for a period of time to accelerate shutdown and restart of IBM Z services and provide a temporary capacity boost to rapidly recover from lost time.
Rising Importance of Data Privacy in Doing Business
A new IBM commissioned study conducted by The Harris Poll released today found that 64 percent of all consumers have opted not to work with a business out of concerns of whether they could keep their data secure. However, that same study found 76 percent of respondents would be more willing to share personal information if there was a way to fully take back and retrieve that data at any time. With z15, pervasive encryption is designed to extend across the enterprise enforcing data privacy by policy even when it leaves the IBM Z platform. With this industry-first capability, clients can offer new services and features that give their consumers stronger control over how their personal data is used.
The Next Phase of Digital Transformation – Moving Mission-Critical Work to the Cloud
Businesses today have reportedly already completed the first 20 percent of their cloud journey. z15 is uniquely positioned to help companies take this next step in their digital transformation efforts to move mission critical workloads (the other 80 percent) to the cloud by delivering a hyper-secure, agile and continuously available platform.
As the center of a secured hybrid cloud strategy, today, two-thirds of the Fortune 100 are using IBM Z. With z15, clients can:
- Process up to 1 trillion web transactions a day, support massive databases, and scale-out to 2.4 million Linux containers in a single z15 system — up to 2.3 times more Linux containers per core on a z15 LPAR versus a compared bare-metal x86 platform, running an identical web server load.
- Address mission-critical latency challenges by delivering up to 30x lower latency and up to 28 times less CPU utilization on z15 by compressing secure web transaction data before encryption using the Integrated Accelerator for z Enterprise Data Compression instead of using software compression.
- Leverage 12 percent more cores than z14, and 25 percent more memory than z14 to help meet the needs of today’s digital businesses.
Data-Centric Privacy Controls
Data Privacy Passports is a consolidated data privacy solution that is engineered to extend clients’ ability to deliver privacy by not only protecting data on-premises at the infrastructure level, but allows clients to provision data rules to manage individual user access across private, public and hybrid cloud data at the data level.
Bringing Cloud-Native App Development to IBM Z
Last month, IBM announced intent to deliver Red Hat OpenShift on IBM Z and LinuxONE. This offering will accelerate the transformation to greater portability and agility through integrated tooling and a feature-rich ecosystem for cloud-native development on Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE offerings. Cloud developers can deploy z/OS applications on OpenShift with no special Z skills required.
Mission-Critical Work Done with No Time Lost
For both planned and unplanned downtime, Instant Recovery brings clients the ability to unlock the full power of z15, spinning up built-in cores to return to pre-shutdown SLAs, while uniquely catching up on business transactions up to 2.5x faster than previously possible.
For more information on z15, visit www.ibm.com/z15.
Huawei Watch GT 2 gets SA pricing
Huawei’s Watch GT 2 will be available in South Africa on 17 October, starting from R4999.
The Huawei Watch GT 2 marks another big improvement in helping users promote healthy living.
It promises an upgraded user experience and battery life due to the device’s ultra-low power consumption capability.
To promote this new innovative smartwatch, Huawei has a pre-order special currently running on its e-commerce store. Users who purchase the Watch GT 2 from 7 to 17 October will receive a free pair of Huawei FreeLace earphones (valued at R2 499). The sporty 46 cm variant, priced at R4,999, will be available on 17 October.
Some of the useful features of the HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 include:
- A 3D glass screen, creating a wider, borderless display.
- Ultra-low power consumption application processor and a separate power management unit.
- Bluetooth calls with phonebook functionality so users can save friends’ contact information on the watch.
- Music playback functionalities, with a large storage capacity of up to 500 mp3 songs.
- In daily use, the 46mm variant can operate continuously for up to two weeks – with both the intelligent heart rate monitor and call notification functions on; weekly usage of up to 10 hours of Bluetooth calling; up to 24 hours of music playback; and up to 30 hours GPS running non-stop.
- In the sports mode, it is compatible with 15 sports, including eight outdoor sports (running, walking, climbing, hiking, trail running, cycling, open water, triathlon) and seven indoor sports (walking, running, cycling, swimming pool, free training, elliptical machine, rowing machine). The watch provides targeted pre-exercise data analysis, data recording analysis during the exercise and professional advice afterwards.
- Monitoring of sleep quality, real-time heart rate and sleep breathing quality. Huawei TruSleep 2.0 uses big data analysis to rate sleep quality, analyse sleep problems and provide sleep improvement suggestions.
Go to https://huaweistore.co.za/ to purchase your HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 now and take advantage of the pre-order special offer before 17 October.
Gadget covered this smartwatch in more detail here.
AR Smart Glasses offer live language transcription
Vuzix Blade AR smart glasses are set to support real-time multilingual language transcription by using translation services from Zoi Meet.
Vuzix, a leading supplier of Smart Glasses and Augmented Reality (AR) technology and products, has announced the availability of the Zoi Meet real-time transcription app on the Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses, enabling users to receive an instant transcription of what is being said in one of the 12 languages offered.
In May 2019, Verizon provided the first demonstrations of Zoi Meet real-time translation on the Vuzix Blade at its “Verizon Tech Day”, held at its Basking Ridge, NJ, headquarters.
Now, the Zoi Meet service is available as an app on the Vuzix Blade Smart Glasses, allowing for hands-free language translation in which speech is automatically transcribed into text and projected directly onto the display of the headset. This launch is making a debut of the first collaboration on the market to support live multilingual communication through AR Smart Glasses technology.
The Zoi Meet application on the Vuzix Blade can also be connected to any Zoi Meet hosted meeting by entering the meeting PIN code into the application. Using the Zoi Meet application on the Blade meeting attendees can receive real-time language translation during the meeting from any one of 12 supported languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, French, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Arabic, Chinese (simplified), Japanese and Korean) or closed captioning by setting the ‘to’ and ‘from’ languages to the same language.
The Zoi Meet application can also be used to host a local meeting on the Vuzix Blade to transcribe local conversations by accessing the microphone on the Vuzix Blade, which transforms the Vuzix Blade into a live closed captioning device and converts spoken language into text on the display of the Blade. In the closed captioning example, the Zoi Meet app can be set any one of 12 languages such as English to English translation and the Vuzix Blade will translate and display verbal language to text in real-time.
Kevin Oranje, founder of Zoi Meet, says: “In times of rapid digital transformation we feel its key to provide people with the capabilities that allow them to navigate in highly connected, international environments. By enabling the unique Zoi Meet instant transcription service on Vuzix smart glasses we realize our goal of bringing people closer together and unlocking both personal and business opportunities unavailable to them before.”
Paul Travers, president and CEO at Vuzix, says: “The need for seamless communication across languages has never been greater. With this exciting collaboration we mark the breakthrough moment in the AR technology world and bring a great value to our users by offering a truly practical service on our glasses.”
As of today, Zoi Meet service is available to download as an app on the Vuzix App Store, allowing for hands-free language translation in which speech is automatically transcribed into text and projected directly onto the display of the headset.