Recent research has shown that African Facebook users has grown to 120 million users in June 2015, up from 100 million in September 2014.
Facebook has shared new statistics revealing that 2.2 million Kenyans use Facebook every day and 4.5 million each month, while 7.1 million Nigerians use Facebook daily and 15 million are active every month. Almost all these people are coming to Facebook on a mobile device: 100% of Nigerian monthly users are active on mobile as are 95% of Kenya’s monthly users.
This follows the recent announcement that Facebook’s active user population in Africa has grown 20% to 120 million in June 2015 from 100 million in September 2014. More than 80% of these people access Facebook from their mobile phones. Now, 60% of all Internet users in Africa are active on Facebook.
Nunu Ntshingila, newly appointed Head of Africa at Facebook, said: “At Facebook, we have a saying that we’re only 1% done, and this couldn’t be truer for Facebook in Africa. I’m only beginning this journey, and I’m already incredibly inspired by the power of connection – from the smallest moments to fostering global conversations. Everyone on Facebook has a story, and I can’t wait to hear the stories from Kenya and Nigeria firsthand.”
Ntshingila continued: “Mobile is not a trend; it’s the fastest adoption of disruptive technology in history of communication. It’s also an incredibly personal device regardless of where a person lives or how they connect, and businesses need to reach people where they are, not where they were, in an authentic, personal and relevant way. I look forward to spending time with businesses across Africa to understand how we can work together.”
Facebook recently opened its first office in Africa to further the company’s commitment to help businesses connect with people and grow locally and regionally. The new office is the next step in furthering Facebook’s investment in Africa and its people. The team in Africa will focus initially on Kenya (East Africa), Nigeria (West Africa), and South Africa (Southern Africa).
Ari Kesisoglu, Facebook’s Regional Director for MEA, said: “We are committed to creating solutions tailored to people and businesses in Africa. We continue to spend time with businesses to learn about how we can work together to create better, more flexible and less fragmented ways for businesses to reach people in Africa.”
Global: Q2 2015
Facebook’s usage and engagement continues to grow:
- Daily active users (DAUs) – DAUs were 968 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 17% year-over-year. Now 65% of monthly active users are also daily active users.
- Mobile DAUs – Mobile DAUs were 844 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 29% year-over-year.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) – MAUs were 1.49 billion as of June 30, 2015, an increase of 13% year-over-year. (This is half of the world’s internet population of 3B)
- Mobile MAUs – Mobile MAUs were 1.31 billion as of June 30, 2015, an increase of 23% year- over-year.
- Time spent: Across Facebook, Messenger and Instagram, people are now spending more than 46 minutes per day on average.
- 65% of people who use Facebook come back every day.
Kenya: Q2 2015
- 2.2 million total daily active users (DAUs)
- 2.1 million mobile DAU
- 4.5 million total monthly active users (MAUs)
- 4.3 million mobile MAU (95% of MAUs)
Nigeria: Q2 2015
- 7.1 million total daily active users (DAUs)
- 6.9 million mobile DAU
- 15 million total monthly active users (MAUs)
- 15 million mobile MAU (100% of MAUs)
South Africa: Q2 2015
- 7.3 million total daily active users (DAUs)
- 7 million mobile DAU
- 12 million total monthly active users (MAUs)
- 12 million mobile MAU (100% of MAUs)
Product of the Day2 months ago
SA Covid-19 vaccine certificates go live
Gadget of the Week2 months ago
Gadget of the Week: Tecno makes Pro move in SA
Cybersecurity3 months ago
2FA to protect your business
Space Tech4 weeks ago
MeerKAT radio telescope brings Internet to local community
Product of the Day2 months ago
Under Armour releases Hovr Machina 2
Movie of the Week3 months ago
Prepare for the next Matrix with Showmax
Serious Software2 months ago
Google’s new AI can restore low-res photos
Software2 months ago
Top 15 features you can try in iOS 15