BlackBerry has released a new Android smartphone, the DTEK60. Over and above the security features like a fingerprint scanner, the phone also lets one expand memory and take great photos with the 21MP auto-focus rear camera.
As part of what BlackBerry calls its transition towards a device software licensing strategy, the DTEK60’s hardware is manufactured by TCL, makers of Alcatel handsets, and comes equipped with BlackBerry’s security software. It is now available for sale at ShopBlackBerry in North America and Europe and will roll out to other regions in coming weeks.
DTEK60 is the second device in the DTEK series of Android smartphones. It provides enterprises and organizations with full access to the Android ecosystem and higher-end specs to help power productivity. It comes equipped with all the security features that BlackBerry’s Android OS devices have, including best-in-class security patching and the DTEK by BlackBerry app that allows users to monitor and control privacy on the phone.
“With the DTEK60, BlackBerry continues to focus on our strengths: state-of-the-art software and security solutions,” said Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Mobility Solutions at BlackBerry. “When you see our logo it means security, from our class-leading enterprise software to devices secured by BlackBerry software.”
Features available on the DTEK60, as supplied by BlackBerry, include:
· Fingerprint Sensor: For quick and convenient turn on and unlock, the BlackBerry Fingerprint Sensor provides added security for unlocking your phone, accessing Password Keeper and making purchases – including Android Pay. Add up to five fingerprints which are fully encrypted with security you can trust.
· BlackBerry Intelligent Keyboard: DTEK60 has a smart keyboard designed to learn from users and increase typing accuracy and speed. It provides word suggestions as you type and includes up to three languages, letting you flick them into place for faster conversations.
· BlackBerry Hub: This unified inbox is an irreplaceable tool for consolidating all of your messages in one place – whether it is email, calendar, social or phone calls.
· Customizable BlackBerry Convenience Key: With the press of a button, the Convenience Key provides quick access to your most used applications and more.
· Stunning Screen: DTEK60 has a 5.5” Quad HD display, capable of displaying 16 million colors. The screen is made of scratch-resistant glass and features a specialized oleophobic coating to protect against smudges and fingerprints.
· Expandable Memory: With support for micro SD cards up to 2 TB, DTEK60 provides the flexibility to add affordable and hot-swappable memory to download, install, capture and share as your needs evolve.
· Dazzling Camera: DTEK60 is engineered to deliver professional-looking photos with an 8MP front facing camera and a 21MP auto-focus rear camera. Plus, features like Phase Detection Auto Focus and a dual-tone LED flash are designed to help the camera focus instantly and accurately for a blur-free, realistic looking photos, even in low light.
· Long Lasting Battery: DTEK60 packs a 3000 mAh battery with enough power to withstand up to 24 hours of mixed use.
The device also comes equipped with the security and productivity features that past Android for BlackBerry devices have included:
· Rapid Security Patching: BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches, setting the bar in incident response and patch management to protect your device from malicious threats.
· DTEK by BlackBerry App: Enables users to automatically monitor their OS and apps to know when their privacy could be at risk and to take action to improve it. The DTEK app also monitors applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location.
· Hardware Root of Trust: BlackBerry uses a proprietary technique that adds security from the start, allowing for the tracking, verification and provisioning of the DTEK60.
· Secure Boot Process: Starting with the root of trust, each stage of DTEK60’s secure boot chain must first verify that the next component is fully intact before proceeding, ensuring your device has not been tampered with since the last restart.
· Android OS hardening: BlackBerry provides additional security patches, improves upon Android’s native Address Space Layout Randomization and reduces the number of system applications and services running with elevated permissions. This makes it more difficult for attackers to compromise the OS.
· FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption: Protects your private information, like pictures or bank information, from being stolen if you were to lose your phone.
· Android™ for Work and Google Play™ for Work: Allows for fast, simple and secure integration with an enterprise environment as well as easy access to numerous rich business and IT-managed apps.
· Full Enterprise Mobility Management Support: DTEK60 supports BlackBerry’s powerful suite of EMM applications and secure productivity solutions, including: WatchDox by BlackBerry for secure file-sharing, Good Work for business-class email and collaboration tools, Strong Authentication by BlackBerry as a VPN solution, SecuSUITE for Enterprise for secure voice and instant messaging communication, BBM Protected for encrypted messaging and BES12 for secure cross-platform management.
Movie of the Week2 months ago
Africa and I – Out now on Showmax
Audio/Visual2 months ago
Britbox brings new video streaming option to SA
Cybersecurity2 months ago
Top 5 Olympics cyber scams
Gadget of the Week2 months ago
Gadget of the Week: Music app that saves your data
Cybersecurity2 months ago
Hackers spread malware under guise of Windows 11
Cybersecurity1 month ago
‘Modern data’ is answer to SA’s ransomware scourge
Cybersecurity2 months ago
Don’t post that vaccination card on social media
Hardware2 months ago
Tablet market keeps growing