South African online retailer, kalahari.com has experienced growth of 87% new shoppers for the festive season this year as compared to the same period in 2010 and there are still 5 days left of the festive season splurge.
However, this does not equate to the same proportion of growth in sales – which has been about 30% this year.
Earlier this month the online retailer predicted that it would see a radical increase in shoppers online.
Gary Novitzkas, CEO of kalahari.com: ‚Online shopping is booming in South Africa as more and more shoppers are opting for the convenience of purchasing their gifts over the internet. We are surprised yet thrilled to have such a staggering number of shoppers who are visiting kalahari.com ahead of the official rush period of the festive season. This shows that South Africans are beginning to appreciate and understand the convenience and cost-effectiveness of online shopping.‚
At this time of year, the retail sector experiences a natural seasonal surge in sales. This year the online shopping industry as a whole is growing giving the retail industry a boost.
‚It is encouraging to see such an increase and that the newly registered community on our website are purchasing as well. We predict a 30% increase in revenue over the holiday period. With these exceptional figures shown to date, kalahari.com is tracking well,‚ concludes Novitzkas.
The Online Retail in South Africa 2011 report from World Wide Worx, released in August, showed that online retail was on track to grow at between 30% and 40% this year. Excluding travel and accommodation, it is expected to pass R2,6-billion in total.
As of 14 December 2011, the top selling festive season items by category on kalahari.com are:
1. My Journey / My Reis (English and Afrikaans combined) ‚ Victor Matfield
2. 7 Dae ‚ Deon Meyer
3. Steve Jobs: The Exlusive Biography ‚ Walter Isaacson
4. Byleveld: Dossier van a baaspeurder ‚ Hanlie Retief
5. Inheritence ‚ Christopher Paolini
1. Now 59
2. Christmas ‚ Michael Buble
3. Huisgenoot Skouspel 2011 DVD
4. 21 ‚ Adele
5. Live at The Royal Albert Hall DVD – Adele
1. gobii 7″ Colour LCD eReader + R160 eBook Voucher
2. DSTV Mobile Walka Handheld TV
3. Kodak digital frame
4. DSTV HD PVR Decoder
5. Kodak Waterproof Camera
1. Controlled Chaos ‚ Jeff Duhnam
2. Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2
3. Cars 2
5. Kung Fu Panda 2
* Follow Gadget on Twitter on @gadgetza