Sony has introduced PlayStation TV, a device that offers users features like remote play, the ability to access movies on the PlayStation Store and lets them stream games to second TV without needing to plug a console into it.
Sony has introduced PlayStation TV (PS TV), an entertainment system that will enable users to enjoy game content and PlayStation 4 (PS4) remote play on their TV at home. PS TV will come in “Black,” and will be available in North America, Europe and the PAL region later this year.
This product was released in Japan and other Asian regions as PlayStation Vita TV (PS Vita TV) on November 14, 2013, and has proven to be popular with consumers looking for a, easy-to-use gaming system. Since its initial release, PS TV has evolved through system software updates and content enhancements. Adopting the same chip sets and system software as the PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system, PS TV comes in an ultra slim size (6.5cm √ó 10.5cm), the smallest of all PlayStation platforms that connect to a TV. In response to the demands from users in North America, Europe and the PAL region, SCE will introduce the system under a new name and colour, and will deliver entertainment experiences only possible on PS TV.
Main features of the PS TV system are as follows:
– PlayStation 4 (PS4) Remote Play
As with PS Vita, PS TV supports PS4 Remote Play and the DualShock range of wireless controllers. This will allow PS4 users in the living room to continue playing a game on a PS TV system in their bedroom. PS4 users can also enjoy most of the PS4 games on PS TV.
– PlayStation 3 (PS3) games through PlayStation Now
PS TV users will be able to access the PlayStation Now open beta service that will be available by the end of this year in North America and at a later date in Europe and the PAL region. PS TV users will be able to play PS3 games via streaming and use the DualShock wireless controler.
– Vast lineup of software titles available for download or via game cards
PS TV offers a lineup of over 1,000 software titles from selected PS Vita games, PSP (PlayStation Portable) games and PS One classics, including titles such as Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive), Minecraft (Mojang/4J Studios), God of War: Collection (SCE WWS), and Killzone Mercenary (SCE WWS).
Fun and Unique features of PS TV:
PS TV users can play games with PS Vita users through a local wireless Ad Hoc mode.
– Up to 2 DualShock controllers can be connected to PS TV, allowing users to enjoy multiplayer games from PS One classics titles.
– PS TV will allow users to access movies and TV episodes available on PlayStation Store.
– PS TV users can access the same services they enjoy on their PS Vita system, such as PlayStation Plus.
– Videos or photos stored on the memory card or those videos being played on the “Browser” of the PS Vita system can easily be transferred to PS TV to be viewed on a large TV screen. While being transferred, PS Vita can be used as a remote controller using the video player application.
* Follow Gadget on Twitter on @GadgetZA