After launching on Apple TV and adding AirPlay support to iOS devices, ShowMax has now added Chromecast support to its Android app, making it possible to broadcast shows and movies directly from Android smartphones and tablets to big-screen TVs.
Almost a third of the users of the ShowMax video-on-demand service view movies and videos on mobile devices, while only a fifth watch it on TV sets. This is the startling information revealed by Showmax, which has also told Gadget that half of its viewers are using the Web, on PCs, laptops and tablets, to use the service.
According to ShowMax, mobile and TV figures fluctuate depending on the time of year. In colder conditions, around 30% are watching on TV and 20% on mobile. Overall, however, 50% of viewers watch on the Web, 30% on mobile and 20% on TV.
As a result, ShowMax has added new functionality to its Android app that makes it possible to broadcast TV shows and movies directly from smartphones and tablets to big-screen TVs.
Chromecast is a media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port present on most big-screen TVs. Chromecast is one of a number of different devices that effectively turn normal TVs into smart TVs. By enabling Chromecast support on the ShowMax app, owners of Android smartphones and tablets can ‘cast’ ShowMax TV shows and movies via Wifi to the Chromecast player which, in turn, seamlessly displays the same content on the big-screen TV.
“There are times that all we want to do is sit back on the couch and take in a good movie,” says Mike Raath, chief technology officer of ShowMax. “With this new functionality it’s as simple as finding the show on your Android smartphone or tablet and pressing play – it’ll be on the TV instantly.
“We’re on a roll. This is the third new viewing option we’ve added in recent weeks. Having launched on Apple TV and adding AirPlay support to our app for iPhones and iPads in early March, and there’s more to come. One way or the other, we aim to have a solution for anyone wanting to watch ShowMax using whichever device is most convenient.”
In order to access this new Chromecast functionality on smartphones and tablets, the devices need to be running Android 4.1.0 (Jelly Bean) or higher and the latest version of the ShowMax Android app.
To sign up for ShowMax and experience a seven-day risk-free trial, visit www.showmax.com via web browser on a laptop or desktop computer. Once signed up, download the ShowMax app on an Android or iOS devices and log-in using the same email address and password.