Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment have announced Batman: Arkham Knight, the conclusion to Rocksteady Studios’ Batman: Arkham trilogy.
Batman: Arkham Knight raises the stakes for The Dark Knight as he faces the ultimate threat against Gotham City. The intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, which escalated in the devastating conspiracy against the inmates in Batman: Arkham City, culminates in the ultimate showdown in Gotham City in which players can explore a completely open and free-roaming game world. For the first time in the series, players will able to experience the ultimate and complete Batman experience with the newly introduced Batmobile that has been uniquely designed to be fully drivable throughout the open game world and capable of transformation from high speed Pursuit Mode to military grade Battle Mode.
“The Batman: Arkham series is one of Warner Bros.’ most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises, and with Batman: Arkham Knight, we are giving players the game they have always asked for,” said David Haddad, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Batman: Arkham Knight is the culmination of Rocksteady Studios’ dedication to deliver both an amazing narrative tale and thrilling gameplay experience from beginning to end.”
“Rocksteady has been truly honoured to bring to life the rich universe envisioned by DC Comics in the Batman: Arkham trilogy of games,” said Sefton Hill, Game Director at Rocksteady Studios. “With Batman: Arkham Knight being the conclusion to the series, we wanted to give players a story filled with unforgettable moments, ambitious new features such as the Batmobile and an epic open-world Gotham City that allow them to live the complete Batman experience.”
The fate of Gotham City hangs in the balance as Scarecrow is joined by the Arkham Knight, a completely new and original character in the Batman universe, as well as a roster of Super-Villains including Harley Quinn, The Penguin, Two-Face, Firefly and the Riddler. Joining The World’s Greatest Detective are his closest allies, Commissioner Gordon, Oracle, Alfred, Lucius Fox, Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing. Throughout the game, players will be introduced to enhancements to the signature features of the Batman: Arkham series, such as stealth, forensics, navigation, and FreeFlow Combat. In addition, the new Dual Play feature is available in specific areas of the game and allows players to seamlessly switch between The Dark Knight and his fellow heroes including Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman.
Also available is the Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass, which will deliver regular new content for six months post-launch: A new prequel story expansion, Batgirl: A Matter of Family; new story objectives featuring legendary Super-Villains invading Gotham City; missions that allow players to take on the role of Batman’s key allies; iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history that can be driven on custom-built race tracks; legendary Batmobile skins; advanced challenge maps; and alternative character skins. The Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition includes the main game and the Season Pass.
Those playing on PlayStation 4 will also have access to exclusive content, including the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions Pack, Classic TV Series Batman and Batmobile Skins and the Justice League 3000 Batman Skin.
As selfie cameras rise, so must selfie etiquette
Selfies were once a sign of narcissism or self-obsession. Now they are the new normal, writes ARTHUR GOLDSTUCK.
You can blame Oxford Dictionaries for making the “selfie” respectable. After all, being named Word of the Year, as it was in 2013, does tend to soften some of the self-consciousness in this most self-conscious of actions.
Once seen as a symbol of narcissism and self-obsession, it is now the new normal, to the extent that most smartphones are sold on the basis of the front camera. Or, as that feature is now almost universally named by manufacturers, the “selfie camera”.
I was one of the hold-outs, having a near-allergy to the selfie. I still resist, but succumb more often than I would like. The reason for continued resistance is that it remains a big leap from the word becoming respectable to the action itself shedding its narcissistic image.
For most, it’s already happened, and for that you can blame Ellen DeGeneres. She choreographed the most famous group selfie yet at the 2014 Oscars, when she roped a bunch of actors into a group selfie, using the then-new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone. Her tweet of the photo became what was then the most retweeted posting ever on Twitter, and was estimated to have been worth a million dollars in marketing value to Samsung.
Ironically, it was Samsung’s up-and-coming challenger, Huawei, that came up with a new word for this type of selfie: the “groufie”. Thanks to an 8 Megapixel front camera on the new Huawei Ascend P7 camera that year which took the highest quality selfies – and groufies – possible on a smartphone at the time.
It didn’t end there, and selfies and groufies have morphed into variations like selfscapes (selfie in a landscape), skyfies (selfies from the air, using remote controlled devices) and jerkies (selfies to make an idiot out of yourself). I invented all of those on the fly, so it’s easy to imagine a new word emerging for every type of selfie.
Continue reading about selfie improvements through the years.
Mickey’s 90th for SA
Disney Africa announced the local launch of the Mickey the True Original campaign, joining the global festivities honouring 9 decades of Mickey Mouse, his heritage, personality and status as a pop-culture icon.
As 18 November 2018 marks 90 years since his first appearance in Steamboat Willie in November 1928, a series of world-wide celebrations will be taking place this year and South Africa is no different.
The campaign will come to life with engaging content and events that embrace Mickey’s impact on the past, present and future. The local festivities kick off in earnest this month, leading up to Mickey’s 90th anniversary on 18 November 2018 and beyond:
- An exclusive local design project where ten highly talented South African artists will apply their own inspiration and artistic interpretation on 6-foot Mickey Mouse statues.
- Once revealed to the public, the statues will form part of the Mickey the True Original South African Exhibition, inspired by Mickey’s status as a ‘true original’ and his global impact on popular culture. The exhibition will travel to 3 cities and delight fans and families alike as they journey with Mickey over the years. Featuring 4 sections highlighting Mickey’s innovation, his evolution, influence on fashion and also pop culture, the exhibition is in collaboration with Samsung and Edgars, and will visit:
o Sandton City, Centre Court: 28 September – 14 October
o Gateway Theatre of Shopping, Expo Explore Court: 19 October – 11 November
o Canal Walk Shopping Centre. Centre Court: 16 November – 26 November
- Samsung continues their collaboration with Disney as they honour Mickey’s 90th anniversary nationally at all Samsung and Edgars Stores. Entitled Unlocking the Imagination, fans are encouraged to visit these stores, take a selfie with a giant Mickey plush toy using their Samsung Galaxy Note9 and stand a chance to win not only a giant Mickey plush, but also an international family trip. Visit www.Samsung.com for more information
- Mickey’s 90th Spectacular, a two-hour prime-time special, will be screened on M-Net 101 later this year. The elegant affair will feature star-studded musical performances, moving tributes and never-before-seen short films. Superstars from music, film and television will join the birthday fun for the internationally beloved character.
- In addition, look out for special programming on Mickey’s birthday (18 November) across Disney Channel (DStv, Channel 303), Disney XD (DStv, Channel 304) and Disney Junior (DStv, Channel 309).
- In retailers, Edgars will be stocking a complete collection of trendy fashion, accessories and footwear for the whole family, inspired entirely by Mickey Mouse.
- Mickey will be the central theme of an in-store campaign nationwide this November and December, with brand new products, apparel, toys, as well as titles from Disney Publishing Worldwide, including books, arts & crafts and comics
- Discovery Vitality and Disney are celebrating healthy, happy families this festive season by offering helpful and exciting tips and tricks on how to eat nutritious, yet delicious, foods, all inspired by Mickey. There’s also a trip to Disneyland Paris up for grabs. Log on to www.discovery.co.za/vitality for information.
- And much more – check the press for updates
“Binding generations together more than any other animated character, Mickey Mouse is the “True Original” who reminds people of all ages of the benefits of laughter, optimism and hope,” says Christine Service, Senior Vice President and Country Manager of The Walt Disney Company Africa. “With his universal appeal and ability to emotionally connect with generations all over the world, no other character quite occupies a similar space in the hearts and minds of a global fan base and we are thrilled to be sharing these local festivities.”
Mickey’s birthday is celebrated in honour of the release of his first theatrical film, Steamboat Willie, on 18th November 1928, at the Colony Theatre in New York City. Since then, he has starred in more than 100 cartoons and can currently be seen on Disney Channel (DStv, Channel 303) in the Mickey Mouse cartoon series and on Disney Junior (DStv, Channel 309) in Mickey and the Roadster Racers.
South African fans are encouraged to share their Mickey Mouse moments on social media using the hashtag#Mickey90Africa.