Although voice-activated assistants like SIRI and Microsoft Cortana are making life easier for consumer use, they are still limited in their business use, in particular interacting with business systems. However, IFS has designed an app that lets users control its programs via voice.
Now IFS has designed a mobile app called the Intelligent Personal Assistant (IPA), which lets the user control IFS Applications by their voice, via a smartphone or tablet.
The app is a product of IFS Labs, IFS’s in-house think tank tasked with finding new ways companies can push the boundaries of what ERP systems can and should do—often leveraging the world of consumer technology as inspiration. Having looked closely at Apple’s Siri and Microsoft’s Cortana, IFS Labs director Martin Gunnarsson led the design of the IPA for people who want to search for data and update data in IFS Applications, only using their voice.
IFS Labs has built the solution on standard technologies for voice recognition available through web services provided by Google and Microsoft.
It uses a standard device SDK for Speech to Text (STT) and Text to Speech (TTS). The infrastructure for fetching data from IFS Applications is built on IFS cloud infrastructure.
Two major benefits of this technology are that the user doesn’t need the normal logon procedure to access the ERP system, and doesn’t need to know where to find the information – one simply asks for that information.
IFS sees a range of use cases, which include:
· Field technicians or engineers can update and report jobs on the go even while their hands are busy with the job or they are wearing protective gloves. IFS has some customers with over 2000 service technicians. If they can save 15 minutes per day per technician, they can enjoy significant cost reductions.
· People are sometimes unable to use their hands, for example when stuck in traffic. It is estimated that people spend the equivalent of several days per year in traffic jams. This is time that could be put to more productive use without compromising road safety.
· Some users are simply attracted to the quick and easy way that voice control offers to search information in an ERP system (think Google Search for ERP).
· A sales person who is on their way to a customer and wants to run a quick check for any business updates can do so quickly on the move.
According to IFS, the driver for uptake of this technology will not be typical ERP users, because they are used to working with a traditional screen and keyboard.
Demand will come from the next generation of users who habitually interact with social apps through smart devices, where voice is used for navigation. IFS expects this technology to become mainstream in a few years’ time. The barrier to adoption is user behaviour rather than technology, and this is changing steadily.
Huawei goes ultra-premium
Porsche Design and Huawei have launched the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS in South Africa exclusive to MTN and retailing for R 26 459.
The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS boasts features like the world’s first dual fingerprint design, including an in-screen fingerprint sensor, the world’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) processor and Leica triple camera with 40MP image capture.
“After the overwhelming success of the Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Pro in South Africa, we now bring you our latest offering, a perfect blend of innovation in a smartphone and luxury design,” said Likun Zhao, Vice President of Huawei Consumer Business Group Southern Africa. “From three-point security feature including facial recognition, rear fingerprint scanner and the new innovative in-screen fingerprint to the Leica triple camera system. it culminates in an unprecedented experience for our customers.”
The device incorporates Porsche Design’s signature design language and Huawei’s breakthrough technology. The phone has a 6” 2K curved OLED screen and symmetrical look, minimalist feel and 8-edged 3D curved glass body.
High performance is symbolised by the naming of the smartphone: the term “RS” in the world of Porsche motorsport stands for outstanding racing performance.
Huawei provided the following information on The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS benefits and features :
· The world’s first dual fingerprint scanner for enhanced convenience, allowing users to wake and unlock the device simply, thanks to an in-screen fingerprint sensor. Hover to wake the device, touch to unlock it
· The winning combination of Leica triple camera with 40MP RGB sensor technology and exceptional photography powered by Master AI. This combination puts effortless, eye-catching photography at the fingertips of those looking to immortalise their favourite moments. Combined with 5 x hybrid zoom, and the world’s first AI image stabilisation on a smartphone camera ensures photography lovers can capture the best shots with exceptional clarity in almost any situation
· The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS is the first Huawei handset to allow quick wireless charging, making it even easier to keep the phone topped up and ready to go and, thanks to its long lasting battery, users will easily be powered through the busiest of days
· An ‘intelligent’ smartphone, the powerful AI processor automatically tailors the performance of the phone according to how it is used – constantly learning, understanding and anticipating needs, it is the perfect personal assistant for the pocket
· 256GB of internal storage means those constantly on the go and constantly on their phone can be worry free
· Dual SLS (super linear system) speakers with DOLBY ATMOS enable users to have a superior experience, with the best immersive surround sound and entertainment on the go
· Splash, water and dust resistant, which means there is no need to worry about damaging the device in the rain or accidentally dropping it in water
Jan Becker, CEO Porsche Design Group, said: “Both Porsche Design and Huawei seek to imagine and develop products that stand for precision and perfection, intelligent functionality and highly sophisticated design. Our aim was to create an outstanding device that goes one step further. We believe we have reached this goal by taking our partnership to the next level.”
Porsche Design and Huawei have worked in tandem to develop a smartphone that fuses together the two brands’ DNA, wealth of experience in design and technology, industry-leading expertise and exceptional performance. Through the use of colour in the device’s body, software themes and accessories, the new handset is accentuated with Porsche Design’s distinguished aesthetic and purist, minimalist feel.
The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS will be available to purchase exclusively from MTN at R 26 459.
Cross-channel chat launched
Clickatell has launched a cross-channel live chat service, Touch Go, that transforms omni-channel customer care.
It enables live chat across a company’s website as well as social platforms (Twitter and Facebook) and mobile apps, bringing customer care and engagement into a single business platform.
“Today’s consumers expect to engage with your brand on the digital channel of their choosing,” says Deon van Heerden, Clickatell Engage CEO and Group CFO. “They want to message your business and instantly have queries resolved, find the information and services they are looking for, without the need for a voice call. Clickatell’s Touch Go makes that happen with the right level of capabilities for businesses of all sizes.”
Businesses can start using Touch Go immediately, with a free Starter option. Touch Go requires no credit card for sign-up and is fully featured with a simple setup process. It offers customisable branding, a unified chat desk business application as well as reports and analytics.
As the business scales up its digital customer care, it can opt-in for the Touch Enterprise offering. Touch Enterprise is designed for scaling up customer care efforts through advanced capabilities including AI driven virtual agents, sentiment analysis, automated workflows, enterprise integrations and in-channel mini-applications.
“Customer care has become a defining factor for sustained business success ” says Nirmal Nair, Clickatell Engage EVP Product & Marketing. “In an ever-increasing mobile native world, customers often choose to interact digitally, but they also expect to be able to reach a human immediately, should they need. Monitoring multiple channels and providing immediate action becomes challenging with siloed deployments. Touch’s unified solution allows businesses of all sizes to provide the customer delight in a simple modular approach.”