HP has unveiled a new Pavilion PC portfolio featuring new convertibles and notebooks with sleek designs and more power.
The new portfolio, says HP, “lets customers reflect their sense of style and delivers the power they need to be productive and entertained at a price that delivers value”.
HP provided the following information:
· HP Pavilion x360: Offered in five colours with a stylish new digital thread design on the keyboard deck, a 15.6” (39.6cm) diagonal model joins the 11.6” (29.4cm) and 13.3” (33.7cm) diagonal platforms with a geared hinge inspired by the HP Spectre x360 to transition into four modes.
· HP Pavilion: Features discrete graphics, five new colours, the iconic digital thread design and Intel RealSense Camera option for improved security with facial authentication with Windows Hello.
“Some customers want thin and light PCs for on-the-go while other customers want power and performance to create and store,” said Louis Perrin, director, consumer products, Personal Systems EMEA, HP Inc. “HP’s redesigned Pavilion PCs offer affordability and a variety of options for customers to get the functionality they need in a PC packed with style and personality.”
Performance with a Pop of Colour
The new HP Pavilion PCs feature updated designs with more colour options. Audio custom tuned by experts at B&O PLAY and vibrant displays, including Full HD IPS options, provide an immersive computing experience. The new line-up also features the latest Intel or AMD processors and graphics.
To meet customers’ increased desire for more mobile solutions, the HP Pavilion convertible and notebook PCs are thinner and lighter than the previous generation. They feature Prismatic Lithium ion battery cells to maintain long battery life and offer HP Fast Charge, which can charge the PC up to 90 percent in 90 minutes even when powered off.
Versatility for On-the-Go Entertainment
For 2016, HP redesigned the HP Pavilion x360 to be sleek with audio custom tuned by experts at B&O PLAY for on-the-go entertainment. HP added a new 15.6” (39.6cm) diagonal model to the 11.6” (29.4cm) and 13.3” (33.7cm) diagonal HP Pavilion x360s which are 12-14 percent thinner with lighter designs compared to the previous generations with starting weights at 2.93lbs (1.33kg) and 3.48lbs (1.58kg) and profiles at 19.3mm and 19.8mm thin respectively. HP’s new 15.6” diagonal HP Pavilion x360’s starting weight is 5.07lbs (2.3kg) and is 23.9mm thin. This year’s models feature a new digital thread pattern on the keyboard deck in a pearl colouring for added depth and style which now spans across the Pavilion convertible and notebook portfolios.
The Pavilion x360s are available in an assortment of colours including Natural Silver, Modern Gold, Dragonfly Blue, Cardinal Red and Sport Purple.
Other features include:
• Up to nine hours and 15 minutes of battery life depending on model.
• HD or option for Full HD IPS displays on the 13.3” and 15.6” diagonal models.
• A full-size keyboard with an optional backlit keyboard on 13.3” and 15.6” versions and 1.5mm key travel for a comfortable typing experience
• Up to 12GB of memory with multiple large storage options (HDD/SSD/SSHD) depending on the model.
• Choice of the latest Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium or up to 6th Generation Intel Core i7 processors subject to model.
• A full-size keyboard now offering optional backlit keyboard on 13.3” and 15.6” diagonal versions and 1.5mm key travel for a comfortable typing experience.
Pavilion Laptops Deliver Style and Power
The new portfolio of Pavilion notebooks include 14” (35.5cm) and 15.6” (39.6cm) diagonal Pavilion notebooks that are 11-22 percent thinner and lighter with a smaller footprint compared to the previous generation. The starting weight is 3.3lbs (1.49kg) and 4.26lbs (1.93kg) with thin profiles at 19.5mm and 22.5mm, for the 14” and 15.6” versions respectively. For creating and consuming media, HP is also offering more power and performance in 15.6” (39.6cm) and 17.3” (43.9cm) diagonal Pavilion models with starting weights at 4.62lbs (2.09kg) and 6.28lbs (2.84kg) and 24.5mm and 29.9mm thin profiles, respectively. The new designs are offered in a variety of colour options including Natural Silver, Modern Gold, Blizzard White, Onyx Black, Cardinal Red, Dragonfly Blue and Sport Purple with the new threaded design element on the keyboard and speakers.
Other features include:
• 6th generation Intel Core up to i7 processor options with optional NVIDIA GeForce 940MX or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics or 7th generation AMD A10-9600P Quad-Core processor with optional Radeon R7 Graphics on select models.
• Up to 16GB of memory and up to 512GB SSD or up to 2TB for single storage options or dual storage options with up to 2TB HDD and 128GB SSD on select models.
• Optical disk drive for select Pavilion models.
• Edge to edge HD or FHD IPS displays for a more interactive experience on the PC depending on model.
Enhancing the Desktop Experience
To further the desktop experience, HP is offering a new Pavilion 32” (81.2cm) Quad HD display with wide-viewing angles and 100 percent sRGB colour space that delivers true-to-life colour. Customers will also be able to conveniently connect to their devices with dual HDMI, DisplayPort and a USB hub. The HP Pavilion 32” also comes with AMD FreeSync technology, reducing image tears and stutters, smoothing choppy gameplay, and reducing mouse lag for an immersive gaming experience.
Pricing and Availability
· The 11.6” diagonal HP Pavilion x360 is expected to be available in EMEA in May with a starting price of €379.
· The 13.3” diagonal HP Pavilion x360 is expected to be available in EMEA in May with a starting price of €699.
· The 15.6” diagonal HP Pavilion x360 is expected to be available in EMEA in June with a starting price of €499.
· The 14” diagonal HP Pavilion is expected to be available in EMEA in June with a starting price of €499.
· The 15.6” diagonal HP Pavilion is expected to be available in EMEA in June with a starting price of €499.
· The 15.6” diagonal HP Pavilion with NVidia GTX Graphics solutions is expected to be available in EMEA in May with a starting price of €799.
· The 17.3” diagonal HP Pavilion is expected to be available in EMEA in June with a starting price of €899.
· The 32” diagonal HP Pavilion Display is expected to be available in EMEA in June with a starting price of €479.
Acer gaming beast escapes
Acer this week unveiled two notebooks that take portable gaming to new extremes.
Acer unveiled two new Predator Helios gaming notebooks this week at the next@acer global press conference in New York. They include the powerful Predator Helios 500, featuring up to 8th Gen Intel Core i9+ processors, and the Predator Helios 300 Special Edition that includes upgraded specs from its predecessor and a distinctive white chassis. Both feature VR-Ready performance, advanced thermal technologies, and blazing-fast connectivity.
“We’ve expanded our Predator Helios gaming notebook line in response to popular demand from gamers seeking extreme performance on the go,” said Jerry Kao, President of IT Products Business, Acer. “The Predator Helios 500 and Helios 300 gaming notebooks feature Acer’s proprietary thermal technologies and powerful components that, coupled with our award-winning software, deliver unparalleled gaming experiences.”
“The 8th Gen Intel Core i9+ processor for gaming and creation laptops is the highest performance Intel has ever delivered for this class of devices; purpose built for enthusiasts who demand premium gaming experiences whether at home or on the go,” said Steve Long, Vice President and General Manager, Client Computing Group Sales and Marketing, Intel. “Intel and Acer’s long relationship has produced amazing products over the years, and the new Acer Predator Helios gaming notebooks are powerful examples of what’s possible with this unprecedented level of performance.”
Predator Helios 500 is a gaming beast featuring overclocking, 4K 144 Hz panels
Designed for extreme gamers, the Predator Helios 500 is a gaming beast. It features up to overclockable 8th Gen Intel Core i9+ processors and overclockable GeForce GTX 1070 graphics. Intel Optane memory increases responsiveness and load times, while ultra-fast NVMePCIe SSDs, Killer DoubleShot Pro networking, and up to 64GB of memory keep the action going, making the Helios 500 the ideal gaming notebook for graphic-intensive AAA titles and live streaming.
Top-notch visuals are delivered on bright, vibrant 4K UHD or FHD IPS 17.3-inch displays with 144Hz refresh rates for blur- and tear-free gameplay. NVIDIA G-SYNC technology is supported on both the built-in display and external monitors, allowing for buttery-smooth imagery without tearing or stuttering. For those looking for maximum gaming immersion, dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, and display and HDMI 2.0 ports support up to three external monitors. Two speakers, a subwoofer, and Acer TrueHarmony and Waves MAXXAudio technology deliver incredible sound and hyper-realistic 3D audio using Waves Nx.
The Helios 500 stays cool with two of Acer’s proprietary AeroBlade 3D metal fans, and five heat pipes that distribute cool air to the machine’s key components while simultaneously releasing hot air. Fan speed can be controlled and customized through the PredatorSense app.
A backlit RGB keyboard offers four lighting zones with support for up to 16.8 million colors. Anti-ghosting technology provides the ultimate control for executing complex commands and combos, which can be set up via five dedicated programmable keys.
Acer’s PredatorSense app can be used to control and monitor the notebook’s vitals from one central interface, including overclocking, lighting, hotkeys, temperature, and fan control.
Predator Helios 300 Special Edition brings a sophisticated design twist to gaming notebooks
Acer’s budget-friendly Helios 300 gaming line sees the addition of a Special Edition model featuring an all-white aluminum chassis accented with gold trim, an unusually chic design for gaming notebooks.
The Helios 300 Special Edition (PH315-51) allows for ultra-smooth gameplay via its 15.6-inch FHD IPS display with an upgraded 144Hz refresh rate. The rapid refresh rate shortens frame rendering time and lowers input lag to give gamers an excellent in-game experience. It’s powered by up to an 8th Gen Intel Core i7+ processor, overclockable GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, up to a 512 GB PCIe Gen 3 NVMe solid state drive, and up to a 2 TB hard disk drive.
The Helios 300 Special Edition also comes equipped with up to 16 GB of DDR4 memory, and is upgradable to 32GB. Intel Optane memory speeds up load times of games and applications, access to information and improves overall system responsiveness. In addition, Gigabit Ethernet provides fast wired connections, while Gigabit Wi-Fi is provided by the latest Intel Wireless-AC 9560 that delivers up to 1.73Gbps throughput when using 160 MHz channels (2×2 802.11ac, dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz).
The Helios 300 Special Edition also includes two of Acer’s ultrathin (0.1 mm) all-metal AeroBlade 3D fans designed with advanced aerodynamics and superior airflow to keep the system cool. They can be controlled with Acer’s PredatorSense app, which offers three usage modes:
1. Coolboost mode:
For heavy loading games, rendering, streaming, and extended video consumption
2. Normal mode:
For productivity tools like Microsoft Office
3. Silent mode:
For web browsing and online chatting
Price and Availability
Predator Helios 500 will be available in South Africa in June starting at R34 999.00
Helios 300 Special Edition will be available in South Africa in August 2018. Exact Price will be communicated closer to the time.
LG G7 arrives in SA
LG this week introduced South Africa to its latest premium smartphone, the LG G7 ThinQ, focused on bringing useful and convenient AI features to the smartphone experience.
Powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform, the LG G7 ThinQ offers 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage to run demanding tasks and apps with. It is equipped with a 6.1-inch Super Bright Display, but the LG G7 ThinQ remains compact enough to use with one hand.
Sporting a new design aesthetic for the G series, the polished metal rim gives the LG G7 ThinQ a sleeker, more refined look, complemented by Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and the back for enhanced durability. Rated IP68 for dust and water resistance, the LG G7 ThinQ is also awarded MIL-STD 810 c certification, having been subjected to a range of extreme temperature and environment tests designed by the United States military.
The LG G7 ThinQ has an 8MP camera up front, rendering clear and natural selfies, with two 16MP cameras at the back that deliver higher resolution photos with more detail, as well as a Super Wide Angle configuration.
As with other leading brands, LG has evolved its signature camera by including AI functionality. The AI CAM offers 19 shooting modes for intelligence-optimised shots. Users can also improve their photos by choosing from an additional three effect options should the AI CAM recommendation not suit their taste.
The new Super Bright Camera captures images that are up to four times brighter than typical photos shot in dim light. Through the combination of pixel binning and software processing, the AI algorithm adjusts the camera settings automatically when shooting in low light.
Live Photo Mode records one second before and after the shutter is pressed for snippets of unexpected moments or expressions that would normally be missed. Stickers uses face recognition to generate fun 2D and 3D overlays, such as sunglasses and headbands, that can be viewed directly on the display.
New to the G series is Portrait Mode, which generates professional-looking shots with out-of-focus backgrounds. This effect can be generated using both front and rear standard lenses as well as the rear Super Wide Angle lens.
LG G7 ThinQ offers further AI functionality with the inclusion of Google Lens features. Google Lens is a new way to search using the AI and computer vision. Google Assistant and Google Photos allow users to access more information on objects such as landmarks, plants, animals, and books. It can identify text or visit websites, add business cards to contacts, events to the calendar or look up an item on a restaurant menu.
A button just below the volume keys launches the AI functionality. A single tap of this button launches the Google Assistant, while two quick taps launches Google Lens. Users can also hold down the button to start talking to the Google Assistant without the repetition of the OK Google command.
With Super Far Field Voice Recognition (SFFVR) and the highly-sensitive G7ThinQ microphone, the Google Assistant can recognise voice commands from up to five meters away. SFFVR is able to separate commands from background noise, making the LG G7 ThinQ an alternative to a home AI speaker, even when the TV is on. Commands for the Google Assistant have been increased in the LG G7 ThinQ so users can get more done with their voice alone.
“The LG G7 ThinQ is strongly focused on the fundamentals and its launch marks a new chapter for our company,” said Deon Prinsloo, General Manager for Mobile Communication, LG Electronics S.A Pty Ltd. “Through the combination of personalised and useful AI functionalities with meaningful smartphone features, this is LG’s most convenient and in the moment smartphone yet.”
- Mobile Platform: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform
- Display: 6.1-inch QHD+ 19.5:9 FullVision Super Bright Display (3120 x 1440 / 564ppi)
- LG G7 ThinQ: 4GB LPDDR4x RAM / 64GB UFS 2.1 ROM / MicroSD (up to 2TB)
- Rear Dual: 16MP Super Wide Angle (F1.9 / 107°) / 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°)
- Front: 8MP Wide Angle (F1.9 / 80°)
- Battery: 3000mAh
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Size: 153.2 x 71.9 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 162g
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colours: New Aurora Black
- Others: Super Bright Display / New Second Screen / AI CAM / Super Bright Camera / Super Far Field Voice Recognition / Boombox Speaker / Google Lens / AI Haptic / Hi-Fi Quad DAC / DTS:X 3D Surround Sound / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Google Assistant Key / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging / MIL-STD 810G Compliant / FM Radio