The 4YFN Awards 2018, the mobile startup competition that will be held at 4YFN Barcelona, are searching for the most disruptive project during this year’s edition and have already selected 10 startup finalists from over 300 participants.
The format of this fifth edition of the 4YFN Awards in Barcelona is different to previous years: two semi-finals will be held on Tuesday 27 – one at 11:00 and one at 16:00 – each with five startups competing for a place in the final, which will take place on Wednesday 28. Esteban Redolfi,Programme Director of 4YFN, declared: “We have created awards that go beyond momentary recognition. Not only do we search for the most innovative startup, we also seek to generate opportunities for entrepreneurs to establish contacts with investors and put their projects through their paces in front of a live audience.”
4YFN will reward the winning startup with an exhibition space at 4YFN Barcelona 2019; 12 months’ free access to the Spaces Business clubs around the globe; an exclusive invitation to pitch at EBAN’s “scaleup of the month” webinar; an invitation to enter the SendGrid Accelerator programme; and a stay at Startup Embassy, an entrepreneurial residence in Palo Alto, at the heart of Silicon Valley in the USA, to support them as they grow. Additionally, over the three days of the 4YFN Barcelona event, the 10 finalists will have their own exhibition area, in the Awards Finalists Lounge, where they will come into direct contact with investors and representatives of large corporations.
4YFN Awards 2018: the 10 finalists
The 10 international startups that have been selected to take part in the semi-finalscompetitionare:
- Boxmotions (Spain): a smart self-storage and warehouse service that manages the collection of customers’ belongings and uses a mobile app to allow them to be tracked by the user.
- Brokoli (Spain): a platform for managing insurance portfolios from mobile devices.
- BWOM (Spain): an e-health app created to empower women, giving them greater, personalised control over their health and allowing them to track their wellbeing.
- Cognifiber (Israel): a world-leading company in the field of scalable photonic computing.
- Combine (United Kingdom): a mobile app that connects multiple financial services, such as bank accounts, credit cards, investments and cryptocurrencies, using a single device
- Eccocar (Spain): a company that provides tailor-made car sharing solutions for businesses.
- IOMED (Spain): this company extracts and analyses unstructured healthcare data from medical files and stores it on AI-based databases for medical centres.
- Jerulida (Netherlands): the company that develops blockchain platforms NXT and ARDOR.
- Viisights (Israel): an intelligent video-analytics platform that uses unique deep learning and cognitive computing technology to provide security solutions for smart cities, businesses, infrastructures and public spaces.
- Zapiens (Spain): a knowledge management system that allows companies to create and share collective intelligence among large, geographically-dispersed teams.
In this year’s edition, 4YFN is introducing the Talent Corners, activities organised by large corporations such as InfoJobs to attract the strongest talent and help them to find new employment opportunities. Participants will be able to analyse their social media accounts and receive recommendations for improving their online profiles.
Huawei goes ultra-premium
Porsche Design and Huawei have launched the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS in South Africa exclusive to MTN and retailing for R 26 459.
The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS boasts features like the world’s first dual fingerprint design, including an in-screen fingerprint sensor, the world’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) processor and Leica triple camera with 40MP image capture.
“After the overwhelming success of the Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Pro in South Africa, we now bring you our latest offering, a perfect blend of innovation in a smartphone and luxury design,” said Likun Zhao, Vice President of Huawei Consumer Business Group Southern Africa. “From three-point security feature including facial recognition, rear fingerprint scanner and the new innovative in-screen fingerprint to the Leica triple camera system. it culminates in an unprecedented experience for our customers.”
The device incorporates Porsche Design’s signature design language and Huawei’s breakthrough technology. The phone has a 6” 2K curved OLED screen and symmetrical look, minimalist feel and 8-edged 3D curved glass body.
High performance is symbolised by the naming of the smartphone: the term “RS” in the world of Porsche motorsport stands for outstanding racing performance.
Huawei provided the following information on The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS benefits and features :
· The world’s first dual fingerprint scanner for enhanced convenience, allowing users to wake and unlock the device simply, thanks to an in-screen fingerprint sensor. Hover to wake the device, touch to unlock it
· The winning combination of Leica triple camera with 40MP RGB sensor technology and exceptional photography powered by Master AI. This combination puts effortless, eye-catching photography at the fingertips of those looking to immortalise their favourite moments. Combined with 5 x hybrid zoom, and the world’s first AI image stabilisation on a smartphone camera ensures photography lovers can capture the best shots with exceptional clarity in almost any situation
· The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS is the first Huawei handset to allow quick wireless charging, making it even easier to keep the phone topped up and ready to go and, thanks to its long lasting battery, users will easily be powered through the busiest of days
· An ‘intelligent’ smartphone, the powerful AI processor automatically tailors the performance of the phone according to how it is used – constantly learning, understanding and anticipating needs, it is the perfect personal assistant for the pocket
· 256GB of internal storage means those constantly on the go and constantly on their phone can be worry free
· Dual SLS (super linear system) speakers with DOLBY ATMOS enable users to have a superior experience, with the best immersive surround sound and entertainment on the go
· Splash, water and dust resistant, which means there is no need to worry about damaging the device in the rain or accidentally dropping it in water
Jan Becker, CEO Porsche Design Group, said: “Both Porsche Design and Huawei seek to imagine and develop products that stand for precision and perfection, intelligent functionality and highly sophisticated design. Our aim was to create an outstanding device that goes one step further. We believe we have reached this goal by taking our partnership to the next level.”
Porsche Design and Huawei have worked in tandem to develop a smartphone that fuses together the two brands’ DNA, wealth of experience in design and technology, industry-leading expertise and exceptional performance. Through the use of colour in the device’s body, software themes and accessories, the new handset is accentuated with Porsche Design’s distinguished aesthetic and purist, minimalist feel.
The Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS will be available to purchase exclusively from MTN at R 26 459.
Cross-channel chat launched
Clickatell has launched a cross-channel live chat service, Touch Go, that transforms omni-channel customer care.
It enables live chat across a company’s website as well as social platforms (Twitter and Facebook) and mobile apps, bringing customer care and engagement into a single business platform.
“Today’s consumers expect to engage with your brand on the digital channel of their choosing,” says Deon van Heerden, Clickatell Engage CEO and Group CFO. “They want to message your business and instantly have queries resolved, find the information and services they are looking for, without the need for a voice call. Clickatell’s Touch Go makes that happen with the right level of capabilities for businesses of all sizes.”
Businesses can start using Touch Go immediately, with a free Starter option. Touch Go requires no credit card for sign-up and is fully featured with a simple setup process. It offers customisable branding, a unified chat desk business application as well as reports and analytics.
As the business scales up its digital customer care, it can opt-in for the Touch Enterprise offering. Touch Enterprise is designed for scaling up customer care efforts through advanced capabilities including AI driven virtual agents, sentiment analysis, automated workflows, enterprise integrations and in-channel mini-applications.
“Customer care has become a defining factor for sustained business success ” says Nirmal Nair, Clickatell Engage EVP Product & Marketing. “In an ever-increasing mobile native world, customers often choose to interact digitally, but they also expect to be able to reach a human immediately, should they need. Monitoring multiple channels and providing immediate action becomes challenging with siloed deployments. Touch’s unified solution allows businesses of all sizes to provide the customer delight in a simple modular approach.”